Build Own Dictionary
Build Own Dictionary
Using this app you can create your own dictionaries during learning a foreign language. The key features are:
- Create a dictionary or import it from your device into the app. In order to import a dictionary into the app, tap and hold the dictionary file in CSV format, then tap Share or Open, and then select the "Build Own Dictionary" app from the list of all the apps that can open the file (It can be in More...). The app will launch and import the file. The created dictionary prevents duplicate entries. Also, if duplicate entries are found during importing a dictionary, their positions are displayed.
- Delete or rename the dictionary. (Swipe the dictionary row and select the appropriate action.)
- Export the dictionary from the app to your device. (Swipe the dictionary row, select Export, and choose a location where to save the file.) The exported file has a CSV format. The CSV file contains the word, the translation, and optionally the description and the category columns. The columns are enclosed in quotation marks (") and separated by a comma (,). In order for dictionary to be imported properly, all the quotation mark characters (") are replaced with the left double quotation mark (“) and all the new line characters (\n) are replace with the tab character (\t) during the export. The export/import feature can be used to transfer your dictionaries between your devices or to back up your dictionaries. For example, you can edit the dictionary file on your PC and then import it again to the app.
- Add quickly a word with its translation to the dictionary. (Tap the + button.) A description may also be added to the word, which can include any notes, examples, or details. The description is hidden by default in the dictionary. Tap a word row to show its description.
- Delete or edit words in the dictionary. (Swipe the word row and select the appropriate action.)
- Assign a category name to the words. (Swipe the word row and select Category.) Then you can list all of the words in a specific category only.
- Sort the words alphabetically, by time added, or by category.
- Search a word, translation, or description in the dictionary.
- Translate a sentence, word by word, using your created dictionaries. (Tap each word in the sentence to show more details of that word.)
- Customize the colors and the font sizes of the dictionary.
- Save all of your created dictionaries as an SQLite database in a DB file.
Note that your dictionaries remain saved as long as the app is installed on your device. To prevent losing data, you need to export each dictionary as a CSV file before you delete the app. The premium version enables the export/import feature, adding description, assigning category, customizing colors and font sizes, and sentence translator. It also removes all ads from the app.